Saturday, September 12, 2009

the ones you know

What is needed? Here is what is needed. Love, the ones you know.

Early one evening I go out to piss with Faf. She trots her yard and I just stand there in it near the fence that separates the city from the railway and piss. I piss in full view while Faf seeks an appropriate equivalent for her turd deposit. It's amazing how much privacy one has in full view. Faf and I are similar creatures in this way - we prefer our privacy in public. But this day, before we make it, just at the edge of the yard we find a man with a tripod, a camera mounted to it, intent on the sky just above the west complex roof line. He is waving his hands about, really flailing between glances into the tiny camera viewfinder and alternately at the two of us as we were, standing silent, watching as through a glass screen this man's small dance. We watch until it registers he wants our attention. I pull down the earbuds from my ears and silence the music. The man speaks.
The international space station! The international space station! he says pointing.
Seriously?, I say.
Yes, the man replies matter of factly. Yes, there it is.
And there it was in the early evening sky; bright, low, traveling at a steady clip 250 miles above the earth's surface, caught in its orbit, the only visible heavenly body.
There's eleven people up there right now, the man says. And that faint dot just beyond it, that's the space shuttle waiting to dock.
No shit.
Really, the man replied, no shit.
Within five minutes it had passed, the man had packed up his gear and we were standing together at the edge of our field still looking up.
Amazing, I say, it moves so fast.
17,000 miles per hour it moves I think.
Amazing, I say again. Thanks for waving us down.
When I saw you there I thought you'd want to know, he replied.
Yea yea, amazing, I say again, I did. Thank you.
No problem, he says as I step onto the sharp cut grass.
All else is memory.

I sat there with Z and saw nothing but bullshit. a snare. a trap. I saw the way out was the way in. I saw my uncles' in the soft world transition. I saw the International Space Station. Then I saw this. I saw what I thought was needed then left. What a bullshitter, I thought. What a fuckin' heister.
So what?
So what, what?
C'mon.
C'mon what?
You won't give an inch will you?
What are you talking about?
Seriously? You know.
(Silence)
(This is it)
(Silence)

Hmmm... What is needed?
Hmmm... What is needed?
What is needed? Do you provide what is needed?
Here it is. Here it is. Here is the provision.
One foot. One foot.
Here is not your empty, doll.
Here is not your empty.
Here is not your nemesis, friend.
Here is not your empty.
You may make for better gold.
Your story made for fodder.
You may make for world untold.
You may make for better gold.
This is it.
This is it.
This is what is needed.

No comments: