Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The Wolf in Albania

Ana says,
[11:18:10 AM] there's an image connecting standing in the streets and religion i have in my head
[11:18:10 AM] it was sooo powerfull...and scary for me, i was small.
[11:18:57 AM] after tito died each 4th may at 15h 05
[11:19:06 AM] on the moment of his death
[11:19:14 AM] sirens were starting
[11:19:25 AM] and lasting for 1 min
[11:19:36 AM] and everybody
[11:19:52 AM] but everybody would just freeze
[11:20:18 AM] it was magical.
[11:20:41 AM] the power a religion has over so many persons
[11:20:54 AM] willing to subordonate
[11:21:03 AM] without thinking
[11:21:11 AM] like a magic wand
[11:21:39 AM] and there was beauty also
[time]
[more time]

I know very little. And here I am. Trying to survive. You asked me to speak directly and now I am telling you. I have to be here and stay here. That is what you asked of me. So I am staying here. That is it.
(silence)
And you are silent again.
(silence)
Because I have had wine? How do I know you will stay with me?
(silence)
But I knew and so watched the land, knowing there would be nothing that emerged from it. The land was solid and hard and browned in spots. There were small lizards darting and crawling over it. I heard the dogs barking.

In Albania I had a dream. I was in Kukës. So very vivid. A wolf was chasing me. A fierce wolf and the landscape was devoid of any context. The wolf was persistent and gaining ground. As I looked past my shoulder at the final moment the beast was nearly on top of me. I saw teeth and the beauty of its fur and not much of the body as it lunged at me. Close enough to feel the breath. Then I woke.

No comments: