Sunday, July 19, 2009

parallel the fall

Look at the power of that fucker. It'll smash you up in seconds, I said in mock Jersey speak.
Yea, it'll do that.
I'm sayin'.
Babe? (pause)
Yea? (pause)
Nothin'.

We stood staring at the American falls, that tiny side tributary separated by an island. It was a beautiful evening, soft, misty and comfortable. We made it there on a spontaneous visit after dropping Z and the boy off at the airport to meet the family.

Do you imagine yourself perpendicular to the fall or parallel to it?
Oh. I'd have to think about it. (time). I imagine myself parallel to it.
Really?, hm.
Yes, your head here and your feet there so you'd fall at once with your entire body, she said motioning the direction of the fall.
The funny thing was I pictured the same thing but I'd call it perpendicular because I imagined the front of the fall from head on.
Why, would you be parallel? she said.
No, I'd be perpendicular but I'd fall the same way with you. We'd both fall lengthwise.
Really?, she said. Hm.
hm?
hm? oh.
oh?
oh.

We just stood there grunting in the undercurrent and watched the glassine edge, soft and gentle and then the fall.


drawing by Steve Caruso

No comments: